- The THURSO SURF Tranquility is specialized inflatable SUP fitness board which offers superior nose-to-tail stability and an extra-large traction pad. The shape of this iSUP compromises on speed and performance, but not to a point where paddling around feels sluggish.
- Like all THURSO SURF inflatable paddle boards, the Tranquility is built with premium materials and construction. A double layer of tri and quad-layer PVC on the deck is placed over a drop-stitch core with double-reinforced seams. The result is an inflatable SUP that is virtually indestructible, yet still fairly lightweight.
- The Tranquility comes with equally excellent accessories including a rolling backpack, double-action hand pump, and a premium carbon shaft paddle. Everything you need to start paddling is included with the board.
- Being slightly larger than your typical all-around SUP, inflating the Tranquility to the recommended pressure takes a bit longer and requires more effort.
- The grab handles on the top deck of the Tranquility have been offset to provide a larger workout space but are positioned in awkward positions. You may find that carrying the Tranquility around for a long time may be harder than it sounds.
Reviews by our Readers
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
SUP fitness, all-around, beginners
2-year, 30-day money back guarantee
WHERE TO BUY IT:
THURSO SURF’s website
Doing yoga, pilates, and general fitness workouts on a paddle board is just one of those things that has become insanely popular over the past few years. SUP fitness provides a full-body workout that does wonders for your balance, circulation, cardio, and core strength. As you can probably imagine, it’s ideal to have a specialized board for this type of activity as SUP fitness paddle boards typically offer a much more stable experience on the water.
THURSO SURF is just about to release the 2019 version of the Tranquility, but you can pre-order it right now and receive a free PVC SUP deck bag.
The THURSO Tranquility was designed specifically for SUP fitness activities, so it features extra-large measurements: it has a length of 10’8″ and a width of 34″. The wide profile offers amazing stability, while the squared tail and rounded nose ensure that the board is stable throughout. Because of its size and shape, the Tranquility is far from being one of the fastest SUPs on the market (check out the THURSO SURF Expedition or BLACKFIN Model V if speed’s your thing). However, it offers a sufficient amount of glide and works fine for recreational paddling. When you’re done stretching and working out, the Tranquility can still offer a perfectly fun paddling experience.
Like other THURSO SURF boards, the Tranquility features the company’s well-known woodgrain design that gives these boards a certain look of elegance. Unique to the Tranquility is the bright blue lotus flower design on the board’s nose which looks great and gives the board a ‘tranquil’ vibe. A mostly white color scheme wraps around the deck pad and the bottom of the board, completing its coherent and clean look. We like how the lotus design makes the Tranquility stand out from the popular THURSO Waterwalker 10’6″ and 11′ all-around models, while the woodgrain pattern ties it in to the rest of the company’s lineup.
THURSO’s SUPs are well-known for their durable construction. The Tranquility features double-layer construction using tri and quad-layer PVC coating on both the deck and sides. Two-layer PVC-coated tarpaulin sits at the top deck supported by a PVC-coated drop-stitch core. The board’s side seams are reinforced by another strip of double-layered PVC-coated tarpaulin. The combination of premium materials and construction make the Tranquility virtually indestructible. When fully inflated, the Tranquility is nearly as rigid as a hardboard and provides a very similar paddling experience.
The THURSO Tranquility sports an extra-wide 82″ x 30″ deck pad made with EVA foam. The comfortable deck pad of the Tranquility is extra thick and firm, making it feel like a yoga mat. Instead of a single carry handle at the middle, the board has two carry handles that are offset and positioned toward the sides. On the one hand, having the grab handles at the sides provides a lot of space to lay down, but on the other hand, they make it much harder to carry the Tranquility to the water and back. The carry handles also have built-in Velcro closures that are designed to secure your paddle.
When you need to bring along some gear or a Bluetooth speaker to play some tunes, the front cargo area of the Tranquility provides just the right amount of space. The cargo area is composed of a single bungee cord running through four stainless steel D-rings. Another set of four D-rings line the deck pad along the rails of the board and are designed to secure THURSO’s optional kayak seat attachment.
Finally, a pair of D-rings at the tail allow you to easily attach the included ankle leash or tether the board to a dock, boat, or friend’s board. A well-placed grab handle at the tail allows you to pull the board in and out of the water or along the beach without damaging the fins on the underside.
The THURSO SURF Tranquility features the same removable tri-fin system that can be found on all of the company’s inflatable SUPs. Having the option to remove all three fins gives the board a higher level of adaptability to different water conditions. You can choose to have the three fins attached which provides maximum stability and maneuverability in choppy waters. You can also choose to only use the center fin, which reduces drag for faster paddling in calm to moderate water conditions. Installation and removal of the fins is incredibly easy, thanks to the simple Quick Lock system which requires no tools. Just slide the fins into their respective slots and push down on the tabs to lock them into place.
One of the biggest advantages of inflatable SUPs over traditional rigid boards is their portability. At 29 pounds, the Tranquility is a manageable weight to deal with for most paddlers. When rolled up, the board fits perfectly into the included carry backpack with plenty of room to spare. The removable fin system makes it easier than ever to roll the SUP up or to stack several boards together on your car’s roof rack.
The inflatable SUPs from THURSO SURF are not what we could consider budget options, but they are extremely affordable. The price of the Tranquility puts it at an upper-mid range, and we feel that the company’s iSUPs offer tremendous value based on the construction used and premium accessory bundle included.
Carbon Shaft Travel Paddle – THURSO’s newly redesigned carbon shaft paddle weighs in at only 2 pounds and is both lighter and more durable than aluminum or fiberglass alternatives. The blade of the paddle is nicely shaped to cut through water and is made with a nylon composite material that is supported by a central rib to prevent undesired flex under stress. The paddle adjusts from 68″ to 84″ to fit paddlers of all sizes and it can be split into three pieces once it’s time to put it away.
Double-action Pump – The double-action pump of the Tranquility comes with two modes that you can utilize to inflate the board faster and with the least amount of effort. The pump can be used for both inflation and deflation of the Tranquility and the handy built-in pressure gauge allows you to hit the recommended 15 psi pressure perfectly every time. The Tranquility is a little bigger than your standard inflatable SUP, which means inflating it may take longer than you’d expect.
Ankle Leash – The ankle leash of the Tranquility is 10 feet long when stretched and the coiled design can absorb sudden tension without causing the board to ricochet back at you. Stainless-steel swivels at both ends of the safety leash prevents tangling of the cord, while the neoprene ankle cuff provides a secure but comfortable attachment point.
Premium Wheeled Roller Backpack – The SUP backpack included with the Tranquility provides plenty of storage space for the board, its accessories, and any other gear or supplies you might need for your paddling trip. The main compartment of the backpack opens from top to bottom, making it easier to put away the SUP and secure it with the internal compression straps. All of the included SUP accessories will fit right into the roomy front zippered pocket. The cushioned shoulder straps, hip belt, and padded back panel help to keep the bag comfy even if you need to carry it for an extended period of time. Additionally, there is an alternative way to transport this backpack, thanks to its oversized all-terrain wheels. An array of grab handles and external compression straps round out this extremely versatile pack.
Inflatable SUP Repair Kit – The included repair kit comes with a couple color-coded PVC patches, a brush, valve wrench, and replacement clips for the Quick Lock fin mechanism. All of these items are kept inside of a small and brightly-colored plastic container.
The Tranquility comes with a 2-year warranty that covers all issues due to manufacturing or material defects. The warranty applies to personal use only and damage due to misuse, inappropriate storage, or normal wear and tear are also not covered.
THURSO SURF also offers a 30-day, no questions asked money back guarantee for additional peace of mind.
- The THURSO SURF Tranquility was designed specifically for SUP yoga and other fitness activities. The extra-wide shape of the board makes it extremely stable, while its unique shape means that this stability extends from the nose all the way to the tail.
- The Tranquility comes with an extra-large EVA foam deck that provides a lot of space to do your workouts. The material used for the deck pad is just as comfortable as a standard yoga mat.
- The heavy-duty construction of THURSO SURF’s paddle boards results in tough boards that are built to last. With multiple layers of PVC-coated tarpaulin, double-reinforced seams, and a durable drop-stitch core, the Tranquility is just about as rigid as a hard SUP and practically indestructible.
- The Tranquility comes with an excellent set of accessories, providing you with everything you need to get started.
- The Tranquility was designed primarily with stability in mind. While it is by no means sluggish, it’s far from what we would consider a fast-moving SUP. If you’re looking for something a little more performance-oriented, then you should consider the THURSO SURF Waterwalker 10’6″ or the longer THURSO Expedition.
- Since the Tranquility is a bit larger than your usual SUP, inflation takes longer and requires more effort. Since the pump that comes with the Tranquility is just the standard pump that’s included with the company’s other boards, inflating it to the recommended pressure can take approximately 10 minutes.
- The awkward placement of the grab handles makes it a little hard to carry the Tranquility around for long periods of time. While the handles were clearly positioned to provide a larger workout space, a single removable nylon handle would have worked better in our opinion.
The THURSO SURF Tranquility is a highly-specialized SUP that performs really well for its intended purpose. With excellent stability and a large workout space, the Tranquility is one of this year’s best inflatable SUP fitness boards. We especially like how paddling with the Tranquility is still fun despite its extra-wide shape and while it’s not the fastest SUP around, the Tranquility still offers decent tracking and maneuverability.