Click to Compare Prices:
- Lightweight, washable, and built for durability, the Western Mountaineering MegaLite sleeping bag is great for thru-hikers, climbers, and anyone looking for a highly packable 3-season bag. Made in the USA from quality materials, the MegaLite weighs in at only 1.5 pounds and conveniently packs down into the included stuff sack.
- Featuring a full-length double-pull zipper, this wider-than-average mummy bag is available in three lengths for optimal fit.
- 12 ounces of goose down filling create an adjustable 4″ loft ensuring comfort to 30°F. A draft tube, collar, and nylon shell also help to keep warm air in while maintaining breathability.
Reviews by our Readers
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
$450 to $470
Ultralight backpacking, camping
WHERE TO BUY IT:
Sleeping Bag Details
5’6″, 6′, and 6’6″
63″, 64″, and 65″
12 oz down fill
1 lb 7 oz, 1 lb 8 oz, and 1 lb 9 oz
6″ x 12″, 7″ x 12″
You know what they say: big things come in small packages.
Usually this doesn’t apply to camping gear, but in the case of the Western Mountaineering MegaLite sleeping bag, it’s true. We love how compact this sleeping bag is — it compresses down to about the size of a soccer ball and weighs less than 2 pounds. You would never guess once it’s unpacked, though; the MegaLite regains its shape quickly and is spacious enough to accommodate side-sleepers, toss-and-turn-ers, tall folks, and extra layers of clothing without the claustrophobic straightjacket feeling you often experience with other mummy bags. The 65″ shoulder girth tapers to 56″ at the hips and 39″ at the feet – plenty of room for a hot water bottle. The DWR-treated shell fabric repels condensation and is easy to spot-clean. The nylon feels soft and light, and the stitching is solid. Packing the bag into its stuff sack is quick and simple, leaving room to spare. We definitely recommend storing the bag fully lofted on a hanger or in the included storage bag to preserve the goose down when not in use.
This bag is true to its temperature rating of 30°F; warm sleepers may be comfortable in even lower temps, and cold sleepers may find the MegaLite roomy enough to fit a puffy jacket, liner, or second sleeping bag. The hood and collar with drawcord adds extra insulation, but we found the Velcro closure can cause irritation if it brushes against the face. The draft tube along the zipper creates a seal against cold air. The goose down filling can be adjusted to the preferred level of cushioning thanks to the bag’s continuous horizontal baffles. With 4″ of padding, you’ll sleep like a rock even if you’re sleeping on a rock. A full-length zipper can be opened in order to use the bag as a quilt when coupled with a cot or pad; the double pull can be used to create a vent when in mummy mode.
Options abound: you can order this bag in 5’6″, 6′, or 6’6″ lengths with the zipper on the right or left side. You may be able to request extra down filling to bolster the loft and temperature rating.
Backpackers are always looking to reduce weight and bulk without sacrificing warmth, and this bag hits the nail on the head. Anyone who’s spent a night in the backcountry knows the importance of a comfortable sleep set-up; a good or bad night’s sleep can make or break a camping trip. This is a serious sleeping bag that is built to last, and we expect it to hold up well for many years. Western Mountaineering has a great reputation for standing behind their gear, and they guarantee the MegaLite for life.
If you’re good to your gear, it will be good to you: keep your MegaLite bag clean, dry, and lofted when not in use, and it should last you forever. If you do run into trouble, Western Mountaineering has a fantastic warranty program which covers replacements and repairs for life. However, this does not account for “normal wear and tear”, misuse, or accidental field damage: only defects in material and craftsmanship are covered and only at the discretion of Western Mountaineering upon inspection of the item. Equipment must be thoroughly cleaned by the owner in order to be accepted for repair.
- The MegaLite is one of the lightest mummy bags with its temperature rating. Its versatility and durability make it a surefire 3-season piece of gear with year-round potential.
- Western Mountaineering has been handcrafting high-quality sleeping bags in the USA for more than 45 years. The MegaLite is constructed from 850+ fill power goose down, water-resistant ExtremeLite nylon shell fabric, YKK zipper, and sturdy stitching. Excellent craftsmanship combined with a robust warranty make this a great investment for those who spend a lot of time outdoors.
- The draft tube around the inside of the zipper does a good job of keeping cold air out. About an inch wide, the tube also helps prevent snags.
- A small stuff sack and a large storage bag are included.
- The DWR coating on the fabric repels moisture, but since the seams aren’t waterproof, the bag isn’t fully waterproof. Down fill can be difficult to dry out and it can develop an odor if saturated.
- We wish the bag was available in different colors. With so many options for customization, this choice was noticeably lacking.
- There’s no storage pocket.
- The ExtremeLite shell fabric is just that: extremely light. Though it’s tough, take extra care to avoid sharp objects which can cause rips or punctures and result in costly repairs.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or new to the scene, this top-notch sleeping bag is worth every penny — it’s expensive, but it may very well be the last bag you ever need to buy. The Western Mountaineering MegaLite eschews the one-size-fits-all model in favor of maximizing comfort and thermal efficiency by conforming to your body shape. Those who find mummy bags too restrictive will appreciate the extra breathing room, and those looking to lighten their loads will love how small this bag is. Less is more when you’re out on the trail, and this sleeping bag offers a great warmth-to-weight ratio. Best of all, your purchase helps support an American company that is committed to sourcing the highest quality materials to craft their legendary outdoor gear.